The Battle family

The Battle family
July 2008

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Fall is finally here; I love the fall, but I am somewhat impartial because it means that the winter is coming. I have spent almost all of this week jump starting my car because I need a new battery and I have not had time to stop and get one.


I finally purchased a battery on my way home from work Thursday. After getting the battery replaced, in Lancaster I had to drive to Sugar Grove to pick up the kids. When I drove into the driveway at my parents I saw this giant pink thing on the front porch. When I walked up to the porch I found that it was Michaela holding a plastic pumpkin, and dressed in a giant, Barby pink shark outfit, ready for trick-or-treat. I had not even thought about taking her, but since she was dressed I left Stephen with my Mom and took Michaela down to Sugar Grove.


At first she did not know what to think. All the kids in the costumes, and people were putting things into her plastic pumpkin. After about a quarter mile of walking it dawned on her what they were putting into her pumpkin. It was "CANDY!" To keep her moving I gave her a sucker so that she could eat and walk. After realizing she was getting candy she was walking up to the houses with much more excitement and vigor. Each house she would stop and look into her pumpkin to see what was added.


We had walked the full stretch of Sugar Grove, skipping the back streets. I was ready to go and picked her up to walk to the car. She said "No, daddy," and pointed down the back streets; she wanted more. We made it to about fifteen more houses before she was done, and I had to carry her to the car. She had walked about a mile and a quarter, all in the name of candy. I placed her in her car seat and she immediately fell asleep. When we got home I placed her on the couch still wearing her costume.

No comments: